Can you hear those sleigh bells ringing yet? Christmas may still be several weeks away, but it’s never a bad idea to plan ahead. That includes considering how you’ll be travelling to see friends and family, as well as any day trips you might have planned for gift shopping, market wanders and any other festive activities.
Our Top Tips For Christmas Travel With TransPennine Express
Whatever you’ve got on your agenda this December, travelling by train with us means you can celebrate the festivities in some of the best places across the North of England and Scotland. So, to make the most of Christmas 2021, here are our top tips for festive travel:
- Book in advance where possible – Buying Advance tickets for your journey online or on the TPExpress app is the best way to book a seat on your chosen train. You’ll also enjoy some great savings too if you get organised and book your tickets a few weeks before you travel.
- Opt for an e-ticket – Having contactless e-tickets saved to your phone rather than a paper ticket will not only save you time at the station, but also means there’s no risk of you losing your tickets before or during your journey. Just make sure your phone is charged. Did you know you can use one of our handy plug sockets on our trains if your battery is running low?
- Travel during quieter times – Your journey will be much more relaxing if you try to travel outside of peak times. If you’re flexible with your timings, book your trains mid-week or outside the morning and evening commuter times.
- Check your journey status before going to the station – Sometimes things can happen which might mean we’re not always able to run our trains on time. To avoid waits at your departure station in the event of a delay or cancellation, always check the status of your train before you leave home.
- Save money with a Railcard – If you’ve not already purchased one, having a Railcard is a brilliant way to save a little cash when you travel by train. Most give you up to a third off rail travel, with options ranging from the 25-30 Railcard to the Two Together Railcard. You can even enjoy half price train travel with a Student Railcard when you book direct with us.
Where To Travel To This Christmas
There are so many places along our network we’re all desperate to visit after a year of limited travel and a lack of celebrations. Whether you want a fabulous festive day trip or a location perfect for a winter getaway, why not plan Xmas train travel to:
Feeling inspired about the possibilities of where to go this Christmas by train? Book your train tickets in advance and get ready to make it a Christmas to remember.
See the twinkling lights and stalls stacked high with seasonal goodies at Manchester’s mammoth Christmas markets. Or test your skills on the ice rink located within the lovely Cathedral Gardens.
- Enjoy a weekend by the sea in Scarborough to relax and unwind before the main rush of festivities begin.
- Admire the fabulous festive light installation that’s all along Edinburgh’s George Street every year.
- Get the bulk of your Christmas present shopping completed during a trip to the Liverpool One open air shopping centre.
- Soak up the charming atmosphere of York’s St Nicholas Fair or duck into York Minster to view its traditional advent displays.
- Watch a laugh out loud pantomime, such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at Newcastle’s Theatre Royal throughout December.
- Get into the festive spirit with a spectacular live concert of Christmas classics with the Durham Cathedral Choir.
- Dig into a delicious Christmas-themed afternoon tea complete with mini mince pies at spots like The Halston Hotel in the heart of Carlisle.
- Attend a Christmas craft workshop at art centres such as Make in Liverpool and the Silver Psaltpot in Sheffield.
- Celebrate the festive season with family and friends by booking a table at a restaurant in Leeds. We’re thinking festive cocktails at The Ivy or a real Christmas feast at Angelica.